Saturday, March 2, 2019

The Final Word




Have you ever gotten into a verbal disagreement with someone and you’re left in silence…you think that things are over and don and then you hear “and another thing!!!” UGH!!!!
There is something very irksome and crazy making about interacting with someone who doesn’t listen or listens on the defensive with the intent to respond. I don’t always fall into the pattern of debate because I loathe DRAMA but every so often someone catches me on a bah humbug and I go all in. Now, before you address me on my use of the word drama, please note that I am by no means diminishing someone else’s troubles. As a matter of fact, I am more than empathetic to them and more than willing to help resolve issues; by “drama” I mean the inability to communicate the issue and the frustration that leads to the back and forth exchange.
I’m just going to keep this brief….having to have the last word is definitely a problem associated with a fragile ego. It’s a power move.
On a spiritual level having to have the last word and the need for power is assume a position of authority and an attempt to gain control…..which in essence is also an attempt to usurp God. Now, I know some of you are saying “whoa!!!! That’s a pretty big stretch.”  Hear me out….James 4:1-2
1What causes conflicts and quarrels among you? Don’t they come from the passions at war within you? 2You crave what you do not have. You kill and covet, but are unable to obtain it. You quarrel and fight. You do not have, because you do not ask.…
(causation for the disagreement….pride and lack of communication) Also note the fact that the issue arose because you didn’t give it to God in the first place (You do not have because you do not ask)

As believers, we are held to a higher standard. We are called to hold one another in love. Pride has no place in a faith walk!!! 1 John 3:18, Proverbs 15:18, Proverbs 20:3, Timothy 2:22-24
The word of God is very clear about people who have to have the last word..

He is the example of how to deal with conflict…being right and being quiet
Hebrews 12:2 King James Version (KJV)
2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
1 Corinthians 13:6-8  6Love takes no pleasure in evil, but rejoices in the truth. 7It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8Love never fails. 

It amazes me how many things is life brings me back to this passage….

No comments:

Post a Comment